Most schools can save money on their waste disposal costs by reducing solid waste, increasing recycling rates, and reducing contamination rates. Yet many schools today continue to generate too much waste and recycle only a small percentage of their trash.
Despite efforts by “green clubs” or well–intentioned volunteers, recycling rates at many schools remain stubbornly low. The reasons vary. In some cases, schools lack the basic infrastructure necessary to increase recycling, such as recycling bins. In other cases, members of the custodial staff may not fully support efforts to recycle more. Faculty members are often confused, and finally, students may not have the information or motivation they need to recycle.
Tools To Help Your School Ramp Up Its Recycling Rate
At GreenCents Communications, we’ll work closely with your school’s leaders, faculty, custodial staff, and students to develop a comprehensive Recycling Education & Implementation Program. This may include one or more of the following services:
- Recycling audits: understanding the current state of affairs is often the best first step
- In-class programs targeted to different age groups
- Larger assemblies, customized to the target audience’s age
- Videos that can play on your school’s website, in classrooms, and in larger assemblies
All of these communications are customized to fit your community’s unique recycling practices and programs. We also offer additional services for schools, including:
- Grantwriting services for recycling bins: Large beverage companies and government agencies offer grants for free recycling bins. We’ll help you create a high-quality grant application
- Student and faculty mentoring: We’ll help you create a sustainable green club or green ambassadors program that will survive from one school year to the next
- Recycling contests: We’ll help you get organized to participate in recycling contests, such as Keep America Beautiful’s Recycle Bowl program
Do you want to take your school’s recycling efforts to a higher level?