Registration for the 6th Annual Keep America Beautiful Recycle-Bowl, a national K-12 school-based recycling competition, is now open. Recycle-Bowl’s mission is to:
- Establish new recycling programs within schools
- Increase or improve recycling rates in schools that currently recycle
- Provide teacher/student educational with opportunities to learn about recycling and waste reduction
Whether your school has an existing recycling program or is looking to launch one, Recycle-Bowl is an excellent way for teachers, students, and facility managers to engage their entire school community in recycling.
Recycle-Bowl begins on Oct. 17 and culminates on America Recycles Day, Nov. 15. Registration for the four-week in-school competition is open to teachers, school administrators, school facility managers, PTA/PTO and other parent groups, and local recycling advocates. Recycle-Bowl registration will remain open until Oct. 11, one week before the start of the competition. Register today.
Nearly 700,000 students and teachers from more than 1,265 schools across the nation competed in the 2015 Recycle-Bowl. Recyclables recovered during the 2015 Recycle-Bowl competition totaled 3.9 million pounds across 46 U.S. states, with Egg Harbor City Community School, Egg Harbor, New Jersey, crowned as the 2015 champion. Recycle-Bowl is open to all elementary, middle and high schools in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Public, private and charter schools are eligible.
New this year, Keep America Beautiful can help participating schools customize the competition in their area. The goal of this hyper-localized approach is to support a community or regional school district to use Recycle-Bowl as a platform to host and promote their own local recycling competitions with students leading the way as the next generation of community stewards.
A national champion will be chosen from the top state winners and will receive recycling bins from Busch Systems.
5 Steps for Participating in Recycle-Bowl
- Register Your School. Recruit volunteers (principals, teachers, custodians and/or students) to help you compete in Recycle-Bowl. Register your school for Recycle-Bowl.
- Create a Game Plan. Recycle-Bowl is perfect for experienced veterans as well as recycling rookies. Create a game plan to reach your team’s goals, whether you’re aiming to launch a brand new recycling program or improving your current recycling rate and quality. Find tips in this guide on how to start a school recycling program.
- Rally Your Team. Communicate with your school’s teachers, custodians, staff, and students so they know about the Recycle-Bowl competition and can get in the game. Train your team by educating them on what is recyclable at your school. Find ideas for promoting the competition as well as engaging educational activities in the Recycle-Bowl resources pages.
- Compete. Collect and track the weight of your recyclables for four weeks during the Recycle-Bowl competition. There are many different ways to get the weight of your recyclables. Find examples for tracking and tools here.
- Submit your score. Report your data so you can see how your school stacked up against the competition. Find out how to report your data here.
If you have additional questions about participating in Recycle Bowl, or if you would like to hire GreenCents Communications to design a recycling education program for you, please contact us.